Fall is Here- Prepare Now for the Snow
The changes and passing of time is one of the only certain things in life. The cyclic nature of the world provides some semblance of order to an otherwise chaotic existence. The new change in the seasons brings many emotions and feelings for people. We understand how busy this time of year can be- people are busy getting their kids ready for school, cleaning up after the summer of fun, preparing or the cooler weather already creeping in, and maybe looking ahead to the winter weather.
Fall is now upon us and it is no the season for pumpkin flavored everything and is the time that leads us to snow and frigid temperatures. Many people overlook one very important fall activity though and it is something that can cause major hassles and problems during the winter if it is not properly addressed now before the snows falls and the temperatures drop. Here is your fall to do list to get your home ready for the winter season:
- Check your roof, shingles, gutters, chimney and all other components for any signs of wear and tear or problems, fixing them now before the snows come in is not only easier it is safer and cheaper too!
- Check all of the tires on your vehicles and get them replaced if they are too worn and bare or show signs of problems- this is important to ensure they keep you and your family safe while out on the roads.
- Change the batteries out in all smoke detectors in your home to make sure they are maintained and are ready to do their job and keep everyone in the home safe.
- Check your decks, awnings, porches, and patios and fix any lose boards, do one last thorough cleaning before the snow and ice comes and make provisions for keeping entry ways safe during the frigid weather to come.
- Get furnace checked out and have a full service and cleaning done before you have to start using it daily and also take the time now to change filters to keep your system running efficiently.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned and serviced so that it is good to go and so that there will be no issues or health or safety concerns to deal with in the middle of winter.
- Check any winter equipment you may have such as a snowblower to ensure it is ready to do and get it serviced if necessary to avoid having it die on you in the middle of a winter snow storm.
- Update emergency contacts and make sure all contact numbers are easy to find in the case of an emergency at home and keep copies of all important numbers and information in the car as well for when you are traveling.
- Update your medical information and ensure copies are easy to access at home and in the car- you may also want to make sure immediate family members have copies as well in the event of a medical emergency.
Enjoy this beautiful season! Be prepared for winter by taking steps now to ensure you, your family, your home, and your vehicle are prepared!